Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I obtain tax forms?
- What do I do if I owe taxes, but am unable to pay by the due date?
- How do I check on the status of my Individual Income refund?
- Social security number,
- Tax year,
- Return fling status, (single, married filing joint, etc.), and
- Amount of refund requested
- I do not live in Louisiana. How do I obtain a refund for taxes withheld from gambling winnings in Louisiana?
- Can I request a state income tax extension if I am unable to file my return before the due date?
- File an extension request electronically on LDR's Individual Income Online Tax Filing application or the Online Extension Filing application;
- File an extension request electronically via LDR's IVR phone system by calling (225)-922-3270 or (888)-829-3071. For an extension request, select option #3, and then select option #1. Taxpayers will need the social security number of the primary account holder to request the extension;
- Submit a state extension to LDR by "checking the state extension box" included in the tax preparation software for an electronically-filed return; or
- Submit Form R-2687, Transmittal of Federal Extension, along with a copy of your federal paper extension or a copy of the receipt for an electronically filed federal extension.
- How long will it take for my transactions to show as completed?
- I forgot my password can you help me?
- I feel my password information has been compromised and would like to change my password, could you help me.
- I have locked myself out of the system by typing in my password incorrectly too many times.
- My bank information has changed, how do I make the corrections?
- I made an error on my original filing. Can I make corrections? Will I be charged P & I?
- Will I receive paper returns?
- If I am having technical difficulties with the LDR Website, whom do I contact and how do I contact them?
- Why did I receive a bill from LDR even though I have already made a payment?
- How do I change my address?
- When trying to register in LaWage, after clicking on "Register Now", it keeps returning to the Online Options page.
- In IE browser under "Internet Options" select the "Privacy" tab, then select "Advanced Privacy Settings". Within the Cookies frame, you must select "Override automatic cookie handling" in order to set the "Prompt" option under both the First-party Cookies and the Third-party Cookies.
- General & runtime errors in LaWAGE:
- Uninstall the current version of the application
- Go to https://webtax2.rev.louisiana.gov/LaWage2/, provide your information and click the "Download Program" button
- Install the application from the downloaded file
- How do I obtain assistance with my tax questions?
- How can I get a copy of my tax return?
- $15.00 for a copy of any tax return or other document for each year or tax period requested, regardless of whether the requested return or document is located.
- $25.00 for each certified copy of any return or other document for each year or tax period requested, regardless of whether the requested return or document is located.
- If I change my federal ID number, is there anything I need to do with the Louisiana Department of Revenue?
Most forms can be downloaded from the Department website on the Tax Forms page at this link. Alternatively, forms can be requested by calling (888)-829-3071, option 6 or by leaving a voice message at (225) 219-2113. It is helpful to know the form number you are requesting. Forms can also be picked up at LDR’s headquarters in Baton Rouge or the LDR regional office in New Orleans.
Submit your return by the due date. By filing timely, you avoid delinquent filing penalty. Any amount paid with your return will reduce the interest and late payment penalty charges. The Department will bill you for any tax, interest, and penalties that are owed.
You may check the status of your refund online by clicking this link. You will need the following information about your refund to check the status:
You may also check the status of your individual income tax refund by calling (888) 829-3071 or 225-922-3270. These numbers are available 24 hours a day.
You must file Form IT-540B, the Nonresident and Part-year Resident Individual Income Tax form to report your winnings and withholdings received in Louisiana. To request a copy of the form visit LDR’s Tax Forms page or call (888) 829-3071, option 6 or leave a voice message at (225) 219-2113.
Yes, taxpayers can request a six month extension of time to file individual and corporate income tax returns. Extension requests must be filed with LDR before the state tax filing due date, which is May 15th for calendar year filers and the 15th day of the 5th month after the close of the fiscal year for fiscal year filers.
Please note that the extension does not allow an extension of time to pay the tax due. Payments received after the return due date (generally May 15) will be charged interest and late payment penalty. To avoid interest and penalty assessments, the estimated taxes due should be paid before the original due date of the tax period.
The four options for requesting an extension are as follows:
Extensions received after the May 15th due date will not be accepted.
Usually it will take 3-4 days depending on type of transactions.
A taxpayer can click on “Forgot my Password” and after answering a security question(s), an E-mail will be sent to him with this information.
If they require help, an LDR agent can reset the password. Please call (225) 219-0102 for assistance.
An LDR agent - (225)-219-0102 can reset the password.
The taxpayer can make online corrections.
A taxpayer can amend any return filed electronically online.
Taxpayers have to request a paper return.
Taxpayers may use the "Contact Us" link at the top of any LDR page or click this link to submit an email: Web Site Technical Questions, Comments, Or Suggestions. Taxpayers may also call (225) 219-2488 for assistance.
It is possible the bill was scheduled to mail before your payment was received and processed. You may call (855) 307-3893 to verify the payment was received and obtain updated account balances. Taxpayers that have registered to use LaTAP may check their current balance online by logging into LaTAP.
A possible issue is that SPAM/PopUp Blockers and Browser Cookie Settings are interfering with LaWage and Severance applications. To resolve the issue you should do the following:
Ensure you have the newest version of the program:
Tax questions can be submitted by email at the Contact Us Online page on LDR’s website. Assistance can also be obtained in person at LDR’s headquarters in Baton Rouge or the LDR regional office in New Orleans or by phoning (855)-307-3893.
As of July 17, 2015, the research fee for copies of tax returns authorized by R.S. 47:1507 are as follows:
All research fees for copies must be paid when you submit the Tax Information Disclosure Authorization, Form R-7004. Payments can be by check or money order made payable to the Louisiana Department of Revenue. Cash cannot be accepted. Credit card payments can be submitted in Louisiana File Online.
Yes, if your federal ID number changes you must close your existing LDR account and open a new LDR account with the new federal ID number.
top of page